The Equalizer

Putting the Consumer First in the Internet Age. Join Us!

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rubbish ISP Providers

There are some rubbish ISP providers out there.

At the moment I use three hosting companies. All shall be nameless (for the time being). One of them hosts one of my financial websites. Yesterday I noticed that the site was no longer there. It had literally disappeared from the Internet. I sent the ISP an email (as it was an urgent matter I wanted to phone them, but when I dialled their number I got a recorded message saying that they don't provide telephone support. Then why provide a number on their website? Possibly to lure potential customers into a false sense of security before they reach for their credit card).

Anyway, I got an email saying I should log into the ticket system because there was a reply to my previous email. I logged in and was told that the domain had expired. Did I want to renew the domain for £9.99? I said that I did. That was yesterday and the website is still not there. I asked if they had thought of sending their customers a reminder when their domains were due for renewal, and so far I haven't had a reply.

(Update: I have had a reply. They tell me that the renewal costs £15 + VAT, not £9.99.)

When I tried to log into my account at [this ISP] I was told that I had entered the wrong password. But I had NOT enetered the wrong password. I had entered the password that I always use.

There is also periodically a problem with passwords for individual websites hosted with this ISP. There is also a login issue with the other (paid-for) services with this ISP (they are suddenly not such good value when you factor in all the extras that other ISPs provide for free, like traffic stats).

On one domain I had to go through their tedious contact process three times in order to view my visitor stats. First my login didn't work, so I was given a different password. Then that login didn't work, so I was given another password. Then that login didn't work, so I was given a third password.

It seems to me that they are making it up as they go along.

Come on [name of ISP], you know who you are. Buck up your ideas! Otherwise I will tell people who you are.

(Incidentally, if you're wondering why I'm using the apparently tautological phrase "ISP Provider" it is for SEO purposes.)


Did you find this useful? If so, why not share it with others?

BlinkList
Blogmarks
CiteUlike
del.icio.us
de.lirio.us
Digg it
Furl
ma.gnolia
RawSugar
Scuttle
Shadows
Simpy
Spurl
Yahoo MyWeb

RSS Buttons from Marketing Blog

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home