The Equalizer

Putting the Consumer First in the Internet Age. Join Us!

Friday, March 10, 2006

Bad ISP in Huge Corporate Denial Shock Horror

It gets worse!

My ISP, [nameless, for the moment], has gone into a state of corporate denial. The mindgames it is inflicting upon itself are awesome. Here's what their latest reply is. This time the matter had been passed to someone else in the original person's "absense".

"I was keen to query the issues you had raised with regards to ourbandwidth alert facility so checked this on one of my accounts. I went into my reseller MSW and clicked on suspend account. I then checked on our support tools and the 7gb limit was still there. I looked on the screen in the reseller MSW and it was listing the resold account with the drop downlist as 'Unset'."

Hooray! They've acknowledged they're at fault, then? Er, not quite.

"However, after checking this with our product development team and confirming what they advised in my own control panel, this is purely only superficial, and does not mean the bandwidth alert is unset."

Er, so when it says Unset, it doesn't really mean that it's unset? (Translation: "It read 'Unset', but the Techy guys said it was okay really, so it's okay really".)

Then the real doublethink whammy:

"The only way the bandwidth would become reset would be if the the account was updated manually immediately after suspending or activating an account and not checking what the drop down was set to."

Which is what I've been telling them for over four months. But now they seem to be using this to support their own case!

Reality: the drop down that they have just described would indeed be set to "Unset", meaning that the Alert system is disabled and their customers would be unaware of any excess bandwidth taking place (until they got the large bill at the beginning of the following month).

I replied by email, stating that their analysis was incorrect, and I attached (for the fifth time) my PDF of the event. I also made it clear that I would not, under any circumstances, pay for a service which is designed to be disabled as soon as it discovers that it needs to be especially active.

You do not provide a safety net when the drop is five feet, then take it away when the drop becomes 100 feet.

I'm awaiting their reply, but I get the impression that they are just passing the problem round to different people within the organisation to see who can doublethink the best. That's the stage they're at at the moment. As with all cases of denial, they know they are wrong really; it just depends on choosing the right words to make it seem okay.

I'm considering escalating this to the CEO. This may save some time and produce some sense. In the meantime, I KNOW you're all wanting to see the PDF for yourselves, but please be patient. I've been patient for over four months, after all. See the mission statement in my first post of this blog. They'll be allowed their own time to sort this out. (I'm assuming that at some stage they will see that what I'm telling them is for real. I live in hope.)


Did you find this useful? If so, why not share it with others?

BlinkList
Blogmarks
CiteUlike
del.icio.us
de.lirio.us
Digg it
Furl
ma.gnolia
RawSugar
Scuttle
Shadows
Simpy
Spurl
Yahoo MyWeb

RSS Buttons from Marketing Blog

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home